education and poverty

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Mon Mar 27 11:19:03 BST 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 03:55:11AM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > > wasting time surfing the internet.
> > Agreed.
> No.  Education is *key*.  In whatever form this comes, this
> will always be true.  Without education, and the knowledge and
> belief that there is a better future, there will always be
> poverty.

Oh please don't tell me one needs higher education to plant
potatoes.  I have, but it doesn't really help, you know.

And contrary to what many might want to think, being able to
plant stuff is much more guaranteed fundament for personal more
or less future than financial shuffles (what if another power
plant goes out?  what if another earthquake hits US and few would
know what to do without mobiles and electicity?)

Education differs.  Experience differs.  And not everything we
might learn is useful.

And poverty by itself isn't a problem (please consider that I
remember at least 1992 when our family had nothing to eat anymore
one fine day).  We can survive if we want to, we can't save those
who don't care to live.  Sorry.

I won't help someone who would expect society (or personally me)
to spoonfeed him for a lifetime.  I try and help those who are in
trouble exactly now but who *do* try and get up.  At least it
works.

Once more: the lack of education != poverty.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>