Custom web browser protocol to install from apt-get

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Fri Mar 24 21:46:13 GMT 2006

Matthew East wrote:

>>> Agree im pretty sure this is being taken care of for dapper
>> How?  I haven't seen such a thing.  I still use wget to get the odd .deb and
>> dpkg to install it.  Such a toy would be really useful for geeks like me
>> who like to live on the edge :-)
>
> You will be able to double click on .deb files to install them in
> dapper.

I just tried this with a package with no form of signing whatsoever and
I was not given a suitably strong warning. <exaggeration>I should have
been asked "Are you ready to KILL your computer and have all your money
removed from your bank account!!!?", and offered buttons, "Cancel" and
"Screw me over good and proper"</exaggeration>

Welcome to the World of Windows and Lost Reputations.

--
Tristan Wibberley