Proposal to get this list back on track

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 20:54:22 GMT 2006

On 3/24/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> John wrote:
> >
> > And the Canadians! I hear they don't like "beer." Can you believe that?
>
> We don't like some of the urine you guys _call_ beer.  And the extremely
> anal Presbyterians (even the Catholic ones :-) ) who make our laws
> definitely don't like the thought that somebody might actually take a sip
> of beer on-camera.
>
> But, on the whole, we like beer...

The story is in many newspapers in Canada since yesterday:

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/story.html?id=9bafb92d-6643-4eff-84fe-a0afe6858a8b&k=54527

A few select quotes from that article:

"Telecaster officials explained to CanWest News Service that under
federal CRTC regulations, images of half-full glasses of beer are
forbidden in Canadian TV commercials.

The rationale, they said, is to ensure the mood conveyed in a
commercial - by a happy crowd of partyers holding beers, for example -
wasn't dependent on the characters' prior consumption of alcohol.

"Caution must be exercised when incorporating scenes of unbranded
alcohol as a prop or mood-setting in commercials," note Telecaster
guidelines posted at the bureau's website.

--
Daniel Robitaille