The Ubuntu/Linux startup scroll (was Re: Will install CD and Live CD be merged in the future?)

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:53:01 GMT 2006

On 3/21/06, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> As an almost, but not quite totally unrelated issue, I still see far too
> many 'difficult' words scroll past the screen when booting Ubuntu
> (Dapper).  I think someone should write down all the words that scroll
> past, then feed them to their mother and leave only the words she
> understood and change or get rid of the rest. :)
>
> Also it seems that when any step takes a bit longer (slower computer,
> etc.) then it flips to the text screen and then it gets really dirty,
> when you see things like 'abnormal termination' or other warning
> messages that look threatening but are actually pretty harmless as the
> whole thing boots up regardless.

This has been something I've been kicking around ever since I switched from
XP to Ubuntu almost a year ago - I'd love to see an English (mostly)
explanation of all that stuff that scrolls past when Ubuntu launches.

About half of it I can figure out now, some if it I've still got no clue on.

Someone want
to add the entire startup scroll to a wiki page, so smarter people
than I can annotate it and make a usable doc out of it?

I think this could be an interesting introductory doc for Linux generally,
actually - "Here's what happens when your Ubuntu install starts up..." -
this leads into introducing a bunch of the basic concepts of Linux.
(hopefully)

My $0.02,

Brian.