Will install CD and Live CD be merged in the future?

Martin Fricke camelgrass at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:24:41 GMT 2006

Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> <quote who="Alan McKinnon">
>  > On Tuesday 21 March 2006 12:31, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > However, I'm still tidying up references to "Ubuntu Linux" all over
> the
> > > place. We goofed pretty badly when we launched with
> > > 'www.ubuntulinux.org' everywhere.>> Why's that a problem? AFAIR
> ubuntu.org was taken
>  Because 'ubuntulinux.org' made everyone think 'Ubuntu Linux'. Gar!

I agree with Jeff. I'm probably what you would describe as an "average"
computer user, although maybe a little more advanced. I can tell you that
the great majority of the market you are trying to convert to Ubuntu don't
care for one second what GNU/Linux or Linux is.

Having "Ubuntu Linux" or "Linux" in the slogan is totally unnecessary. The
less confusion for users - the better. It's important for Ubuntu to
continue to push strong brand recognition, so "Ubuntu" is known as
widespread as "Windows" or "Mac".

> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > However, I'm still tidying up references to "Ubuntu Linux" all over
> > the place. We goofed pretty badly when we launched with
> > 'www.ubuntulinux.org' everywhere.

Jeff, if you are "tidying up references to Ubuntu Linux", you may want to
look in the first paragraph on the frontpage of ubuntu.com and in the
Titlebar :).