Will install CD and Live CD be merged in the future?

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Tue Mar 21 13:15:35 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 05:17:45PM +0700, Chanchao said:

> As an almost, but not quite totally unrelated issue, I still see far too
> many 'difficult' words scroll past the screen when booting Ubuntu
> (Dapper).  I think someone should write down all the words that scroll
> past, then feed them to their mother and leave only the words she
> understood and change or get rid of the rest. :)

One of the very most frustrating things about Windows is the fact that
when things break during the boot, you either get no notification at
all, or the notification you get is "cutesy".  One of the strengths of
Linux is that it tells you what's going on, so you can either fix it, or
read those words off to somebody who knows what they mean.

If this is done, it needs to be in a way that we can turn off, and it
needs to be turned off by default for the "server" install.  For the
cutesy graphical warm fuzzy boot, perhaps a keystroke could turn it off,
for debugging.  I like the "mother" test for deciding what's confusing;
if several people did that, it'd be a really good bunch of info.

Ubuntu: error messages for human beings.  :)

--
   Shawn McMahon    | Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick
   EIV Consulting   | of compiling Gentoo".