Yet another reason to get angry with Bill...

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Mon Mar 20 18:39:13 GMT 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:25:28PM +0200, Duncan Anderson said:
> I think it is precisely those communities which would benefit from it the
> most. Or should I assume that the great big yellow handle in the picture on
> laptop.org is just for show? Another rechargeable power source that the same
> people use for a variety of things is car batteries.

Also, people keep assuming in this discussion that computer == internet.

I did very interesting things in which I learned a lot for years before
there was an internet, much less before my town had local access to it.
(In fact I built the first local access to it in my town.)

In between the advent of the internet and the advent of local access to
it, we still did interesting things that involved it, through UUCP,
Fidonet, and other gated networks.

A computer doesn't need a network to be useful for education, and a
computer network doesn't need to be directly connected to the Internet
to be useful for education.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick
   EIV Consulting   | of compiling Gentoo".