Xara Xtreme GPL'ed

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Mar 20 18:12:34 GMT 2006

Op ma, 20-03-2006 te 12:34 -0500, schreef Etienne Goyer:
> Well, vector and bitmap image editor are two different markets.  This
> one appear to do both, which I find somewhat strange.

It's mainly a vector editor, but it has some raster image editing
capabilities too.  (And IIRC they implement this by having 2 different
layer types.)

> The main complaint I hear with regard with The GIMP (beside the UI) is
> the lack of support for CMYK and so-called "Pantone" color, and lack
> of adequate color profile.  These features only appeal to high-end
> users that work on print media (AFAIK), whom you will pry Photoshop
> from their cold dead fingers only.  I can't see any mention of these
> in the Xara Xtreme feature list anyway.

The GPL version has no Pantone because they can't legally open source
code that uses Pantone.  The commercial Windows version has Pantone
support though, so in the future they might create a commercial Linux
version with that too.

--
Jan Claeys