Yet another reason to get angry with Bill...

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 14:43:30 GMT 2006

On Sunday, 19 March 2006 15:20, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> On 19/03/06, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > <quote who="Duncan Anderson">
> >
> > > The laptop in question is a wind up job which does not require
> > > electricity, so I think it is precisely those communities which would
> > > benefit from it the most. Or should I assume that the great big yellow
> > > handle in the picture on laptop.org is just for show?
> >
> > It has a crank, and takes C cell batteries. One of the comments made by
> > the OLPC staff is that this laptop may be the first artificial light
> > source available in some places it will be distributed.
>
> Not to rain on the parade, but, if it's the first artificial light
> source, then there's also a good chance that no one can read at a
> sufficient level to make use of the laptop.

Most reading gets done in daylight, or candlelight or using gas or oil lamps.
> That said, enough people are literate and still in _desperate_ need of
> information so, provided they're targetted then there's the
> possibility that people will find a use for them (in the developed
> world there may be a _tiny_ market for them as well -- the homeless
> (though, they will now start to have public access to
> internet/computers as well so for them to tote around one of these
> gadgets will be yet another thing to lose (and, that's one of the
> problems (at least in Toronto)... oftentimes they're not "with it"
> enough to keep track of their meage belongings).

There are many rural people in South Africa who are literate and who are
starved for intellectual stimulation. Books are way too pricy. A new science
textbook costs almost $50, so a $100 laptop is a miracle. A new Thinkpad or
ACER travelmate or whatever costs at least $800.

There are schools which operate with no mains electricity, and they manage.

> Eric.

Your input is well reasoned, if a trifle pessimistic.

cheers
Duncan