Yet another reason to get angry with Bill...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Mar 19 05:51:41 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 16:37 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >....where I live there isn't even support for ADSL or 3G, no matter how hard you look.
>
> IP over railway tracks

Hey never heard of that , sounds cool :o)))

> and IP over power

Ah, I heard of an experiment about this in Germany, heard a word about
it for France as well.... a year ago, but never heard again about either
the German of French experiments of potential commercial offers
since :o(((

In the meantime, what many rural areas do to bring broadband to all the
small villages, is to use a super powerful wifi transmitter (I think
they call it "Wifi max" or something), that can cover IIRC a radius of
something like 15 or 30 kms. This way they only have to connect a single
point (the wifi antenna) to broadband, whic they can do with a satellite
dish or whatever they fits best.
Other villages just use an optical fiber and to save money, they use the
existing power network: they just wrap the fiber around the electrical
cables !! :o) Then when the cables reach the village/transformer, they
just separate the fiber from the electrical wires, and connect it to
their local network.

I think basically broadband wise... where there is a will, there is a
way !! :o)

--
Vince