Yet another reason to get angry with Bill...

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 05:00:36 GMT 2006

On Friday, 17 March 2006 17:43, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:48:03AM -0500, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > I don't understand the whole point of providing 3rd World
> > countries a $100 laptop when there are greator problems, food,
> > water, electricity, sanitation, disease, etc that should be
> > taken care of before people start
>
> wasting time
>
> > surfing the internet.
>
> instead of fixing the situation.

In my part of rural South Africa, "wasting time" surfing the internet would
solve one of the major problems faced by young people: boredom. If you have
nothing to do, and no resources, it is not surprising if you go off to the
nearest town and do some crime. Rip off the rich folks. It certainly relieves
the boredom and you may end up with some money to spend on "civilised" items
like coca-cola, KFC, etc. My wife's purse was snatched by an "idle youth" and
several purchases were made with one of her credit cards, despite us having
reported it stolen. The interesting thing is what was bought: KFC and shoes.

A $100 laptop would go a long way in alleviating the main problems of boredom
through unemployment and lack of education.

The "wasting of time" referred to by the previous poster would be highly
beneficial in terms of giving people a glimpse of the world beyond the narrow
confines of their existence, and it would certainly have a hugely educative
effect.

My 2c worth.

Duncan