Ubuntu and Automatix

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Mar 17 12:53:18 GMT 2006

Andreas Lloyd spake thusly on 03/17/2006 03:31 AM:
> Venkat Raghavan wrote:
>
>>>Why don't you just work with the DocTeam to make the docs IN ubuntu better,
>>>so EasyUbuntu isn't necessary?
>>>

>>All the stuff installed by Automatix/EasyUbuntu/your favourite script is
>>either documented on the wiki or easily installable from Universe or
>>Multiverse.
>>That said, documentation is pretty much useless if people are not prepared to
>>read them. The documentation in dapper is much better than in breezy. Somehow
>>i get the feeling that these scripts are going away anytime soon., though I
>>wish they would and people would read documentation.
>>

> As I see it, most people find it a lot easier to use a script to install
> a lot of these non-free elements, simply because they expected the
> system to contain these elements in the first place and they want to add
> it as quickly as possible.

That makes perfect sense especialy since "Linux for Human Beings" makes
it appear that Ubuntu is  "Linux dor Dummies".  People aren't interested
in spending a lot of time hunting down packages they just want them
installed quick and easy.  After all that stuff came with thier Windows
(or Mac) -baed computer to begin with.

> If one of these scripts - EasyUbuntu? - is safe and solid, then why not
> refer to it in the documentation and make it available in the
> repositories? The EasyUbuntu script itself is GPL, so it wouldn't that
> be a problem (though I actually had to download the sourcecode to
> confirm that).
>
> I mean, if we have long documentation of how to install non-free codecs
> and applications on Ubuntu, then why can't we add a script that does the
> same thing and then explain to people how to use it?
>
> I'm sure that would seem a lot easier to the average user than having to
> install them manually using the command line. I know EasyUbuntu or
> Automatix or any of these aren't the finished article, but ideally,
> wouldn't it be better to have script that is somehow associated
> officially with Ubuntu to avoid the current situation where many new
> users' experience of Ubuntu is shaped by a third-party script?

Ubuntu can't be offically associated with i as long as a script is going
to allow you to install w32codecs & libsvdscss, t, lest they get
themselves in deep lega doo-doo.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com