Yet another reason to get angry with Bill...

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Mar 17 10:55:39 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 11:02, Duncan Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 March 2006 16:50, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Op do, 16-03-2006 te 13:23 +0200, schreef Alan McKinnon:
> > > He's also clueless about how places like Africa work. There is
> > > no connectivity, there is no support infrastructure, and there
> > > is no money for software.
> >
> > Your description of "Africa" is a bit of an
> > over-generalization...   ;-)
> >

> > --
> > Jan Claeys
>
> I think Alan  knows a bit about Africa. He lives there.
>
> Duncan

To be fair to Jan, Africa is quite a big place and it's easy to
generalize. Lucky for me, most of the population *is* poor so this
time I get away with it :-)

I like the idea of this laptop, it's great for schools that would like
to introduce computing to the kids and at $100 each it's 20% of the
price of a pc. Put Windows on the pc and it's more like 10%. (Taking
note of Pete's comment about Malawi there will always be areas where
even this laptop is out of reach, and they need pencils instead).

I wonder how long it'll take before someone ports Ubuntu to run on it.
That would be a nice fit.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za