Formatted vs. plain text mail (was: Call for testing the new dist-upgrade process)

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Mar 13 22:29:14 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 21:47, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On ma, 2006-03-13 at 17:37 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Solution: set up Mailman to auto-generate a mail containing the
> > list rules to the sender *every*time* they send HTML mail.
>
> You can;t always solve social problems with technical solutions...

Most users who transgress the rules will fix it if it's pointed out to
them, an auto-message handles that nicely. There will always be that
small percentage that don't listen, and need something more <ahem>
direct.

I subscribe to over 20 mailing lists and this is a universal problem.
I'm getting sick of reading the same top-post, no <snips>, HTML
formatting threads on multiple lists, so I would like to see the
occurances that can be solved by technical means being implemented.
One post on this a fortnight to handle the bad cases is better than
daily posts from all over.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za