The shiny Dapper logout dialog

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Mar 13 13:58:05 GMT 2006

Martin Pitt wrote:
> I would very much prefer if the whole dialog could be split into two
> menu options again. The menu item says 'Log out martin...', but four of
> the seven buttons *don't* log me out, so this is pretty confusing
> (reminds me of the old Windows joke that you have to press Start to
> end your session).
>
> I think the 'Pause session...' / 'End session...' classification is a
> good one; if they get their own menu entries and dialogs, it would be
> perfect IMHO.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

True, The "System/log out" menu entry is not a really good description
of the dialog. Could someone provide me a screenshot of the new upstream
logout dialog?

But dear people, please keep in mind the following:

1) Apart from the minor or extra issues like left-align/center, "Pause"
or "Pause session", one or two dialogs, all I heard is positive response
to http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/logout.png (titles and re-ordering)
in favor of the current Dapper logout dialog, that is criticized to be
confusing/crowded.
2) The InferfaceFreeze, as far as I know, already happened a few days ago.
3) This thread has forked on ubuntu-desktop:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2006-March/000464.html
4) Per 2), we are actually quite late discussing this; I think it'd be
good if the people who decide over the gnome-logout-dialog (Sebastian
Bacher? Manu Cornet? no clue) could decide today if
http://www.manucornet.net/GNOME/logout.png is favored over the current
dialog, check all constraints we're in (doc-teams, books that will be
published, etc.) with the releasemanager, and make a decision. If this
means it won't make Dapper: Too bad, we can reconsider in a few months.

Thanks for your attention,

Eric