XGL your experiances..

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Mon Mar 13 03:40:02 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 21:08 -0500, Lukas Sabota wrote:
> I've only used compiz briefly (I had too many random X crashes with
> XGL), but what were your gripes with it?

Certainly not crashes. After I sent my email I switched back to xgl and
had a probe at the problems I had with Compiz to see if they had options
buried deep in gconf's twisted heart and here's what I found:

Cube:
- windows taking too long to appear when rotating.
This was resolved in a sense, in gconf by enabling the "in" option. This
changes the visual perspective from being outside the cube to being
inside the cube. A side effect was that as you rotated the cube, the
windows were already drawn as you rotated. A huge visual improvement.

Compiz:
- click to focus only
No apparent way to enable sloppy focus was truly frustrating but I
discovered by turning off "click-to-focus" that sloppy was the default.

- can't roll the windows
Still can't find a way to enable windows to be rolled. Although perhaps
I just need to learn more Scale (F12) love.

Enlightenment:
- screen won't draw cleanly
With xgl on, Evolution and only Evo would not draw it's entire screen
cleanly. This problem is no longer occurring. The joy of the ever
evolving state of Dapper :)

Others that have since "Fixed" themselves:
- Scale (F12) didn't work.
- Move (clt+alt+shift+focus) didn't work

To the way I work, the above either not working or working poorly were
causing a major slow down in the speed a which I worked. Having resolved
the first 2 and learning a new way for the third, with others having
resolved themselves I think xgl/compiz will get a longer run this time
around.

It's working great now :)

--
Cheers,