crazy world.. (and podcasts, audiobooks etc)

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Fri Mar 10 23:50:57 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:00, Senectus . wrote:
> On 3/10/06, Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
> > Download the .mp3 and convert it to .ogg using mp32ogg or any of
> > the many converters out there.
> >
> > You do lose some quality in the process, but you won't notice it
> > on voice
>
> Ahh my flash player will play nearly anything... but that isn't the
> point.
>
> The point is that the book is about copyright law and the history
> of how corporate business likes to stifle innovation.
> They then release the entire book under the CC (Creative Commons)
> License and record the audio book in a proprietary audio codec.
>
> Personally I found the book excellent, but this MP3 mishap is just
> a little bit hypocritical...

Ah, that explains your post.

We are missing some info here though. Who put the book together, was
it Lawrence himself or someone else's work? Who does the author
intend the book to be listened by (which market)?

Maybe it's more complex (or even more stupid) than we think. If
someone took one of Lawrence's works under CC and made an audio book
out of it, there's no assurance that they understand the issues of
mp3. Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

How's this for a dilemma though: you want to communicate the idea of
artistic freedom to a wide audience (windahs users). That audience
have never heard of .ogg and don't have tools to use it. So to
communicate at all and get your message heard, you have to use mp3.

I imagine it's a bit like Stallman having to use $PROPRIETARY_COMPILER
for a long while until gcc could self-compile

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za