Advice on CLI mail client that support mail threading

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Mar 9 18:47:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:29:30PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> I'm having some trouble finding how to set mutt up..
> It seems to me that mutt doesn't have any innate ability to make pop3
> or imap calls on it's own.. instead you need to point it at another
> app to do that??

Well that's the beauty of traditional Unix programs and the Unix way.  Lots
of small simple utilities that each do one job and do it well, allowing them
to be combined in extraordinary ways their original authors didn't even
anticipate.

Also recommended for use with mutt is procmail and lbdb.  These things may
take a little while to learn, but I garuantee that time will be repaid in
full if you get a lot of mail.

See Our Jeff Waugh's excellent commented mutt dotfiles at:

http://perkypants.org/dotfiles/
(hope he doesn't mind me linking to this?)

By the way, if I recall correctly, the reason many switched to mutt was
because pine was dropped from Debian main because it didn't meet the DFSG
definition of Free.

Pete