IBM not to sell Windows Vista?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Mar 8 17:11:37 GMT 2006

On Wednesday, 8 March 2006 14:59, John wrote:

> > 1. They are talking about IBM using Linux internally
>
> _That_ is a good story to tell. If IBM can find a range of products
> to suit all its needs, then lots of others can too.

I recall reading an item on a news forum on this topic about 6 months
back. Apparently some time ago, the chief lad at IBM instructed the
company to switch to Linux internally, and gave them a year to do it.
One year later it wasn't done yet. Turns out that every major need
they had was satisfied in Linux, except one:

They had thousands of internal J2EE apps that ran on WebSphere and all
of them had been highly optimized for IE and simply didn't work on
any other browser. A year wasn't enough to identify, fix, test and
redeploy all those apps!

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za