New DHCP client in development..

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 8 14:50:51 GMT 2006

John wrote:

>>>It doesn't really answer the question, does it? Why don't udev & hal do
>>>it then?
>>>
>>>Or hotplug in those systems still using it.
>>

>> Well, I think it does pretty much answer it.  The problem is that there
>> _is_ no one true way, and Linuxers really don't like trying to define a
>> one true way (look at how well the Linux Standard Base is doing).
>>
>> udev _does_ handle configuring the modules - which is all hotplug was
>> doing. You could make udev/hal do more, but we've already got tools that
>> do the
>> job.  afaict, what you're asking for is done by ifplugd.
>
> Alright then, if ifplugd does the job, why do we need yet another dhcp
> client?

I certainly don't need a new DHCP client - but there's always someone who'll
see another option.  Obviously if the old dhcp client developers agreed it
was needed we wouldn't _get_ another client, we'd get enhancements to the
old ones.

> Can't the vendors just make the existing tools do the job
> properly?

afaict, they do... at least those vendors who give a hoot about Linux
compatibility.
--
derek