"Ctrl-Alt-Del to login" really important for security?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Mar 7 12:20:31 GMT 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:23:49AM +0000, Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> >... it's like proposing to install hardened doors with dual
> >locks along the village fence where nothing really stops one
> >from just circumventing it.
> When you only have the resources to get the doors, you get the
> doors.  Then next year you get the wall.

I've tried that way with audio.  Doesn't really work, as it's
said, "new wine will break older furs".

> If you never make progress to avoid having a period where the
> computer is still not perfect, you never secure your perimeter.

Well let's conclude it's a matter of taste.  I just wanted to
tell that it's non-security, such a disbalanced state.  Some
might even feel obliged to play different jokes to the person
who would behave this way, be it keylogger for a supasekur system
or pulling the hut doors down because nothing supports them.

> I would quite like to see bluetooth integration for bluetooth
> keyboards, then maybe even a future phone will appear as a
> bluetooth keyboard and you could take your own keyboard
> everywhere just for passwords.  Ubiquitous computing here we
> come! :)

Bluetooth is particularly known for insecurity by design, JFYI...

PS: sorry for arguing, I've somehow thought you were considering
sec issues for real. :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>