"Ctrl-Alt-Del to login" important for security?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Mar 4 18:28:10 GMT 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:48:33AM +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> GDM/KDM can do most of those too I think, just not force the
> alledgedly security enhancing key combination. :)

Keyword: "allegedly".  Increasing feeling of security without
neccessarily improving understanding of the threat is usually
a regression.

Attacker can run the fake login screen with subtle modification
in place of "Ctrl-Alt-Del" or a rephrase; I guess the better half
of the potential victims will fall for it, maybe after some
hesitation.

Compare to any other successful phishing techniques out there...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>