Development, Community Involvment and Ubuntu Information (was Re: Alternative Init System)

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 12:04:41 GMT 2006

On 3/3/06, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Smaller projects can allow chitchat, because the volume is that much
> lower.

Perhaps more to the point there is a seperate list (ubuntu-sounder for
such chit-chat). Two proposals which might help reduce noice on
ubuntu-devel.

Proposal one: The two main community lists on
   http://www.ubuntu.com/community/lists
should be ubuntu-users and ubuntu-sounder (rather than devel). The
core devels already know where the devel list is, and it is probably
better to have randoms showing up on sounder and being redirected to
-devel rather than visa-versa.

Proposal two: When asking a developer to move from -devel, suggest not
only that they move there proposal to a wiki page, but also the
discussion as to purpose of ubuntu-devel to a wiki-page, e.g.
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelFAQ
(A sample I whipped up based on comments by developers on ubuntu-devel).

> However, a lot of what gets shutdown is not actually
> development discussion but simply me-tooing and not actually working
> towards a solution.

Yes I wasn't asked to move when I was "working to towards a solution"
to deb-patches (unrelated to this thread) but in retrospect it
probably would have been better to have been on sounder since it took
over a dozen of emails to reach an agreement, and the core devels
didn't really see it as a priority, so I am guessing it would have
mostly been noise to them.

> This of this difference. Devel is like a company meeting. Sounder is
> like a pub. Both may be talking about development and things may even
> be decided at the pub but the company meeting if where the official
> decisions take place.
>
> So yes, sounder is a perfect place for talking about how we might
> squeeze a bit more out of our boot (in general terms) and how it is
> slow. When a solution is found, take it to ubuntu-devel.
>
> That make sense?

yes :)

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted