Development, Community Involvment and Ubuntu Information (was Re: Alternative Init System)

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 01:50:33 GMT 2006

On 3/2/06, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/06, john levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:
> > I don't see why that should be tongue in cheek. Why shouldn't Ubuntu
> > developers have a mailing list for their own purposes? The Fridge ml
> > isn't open, and I'd say that given both the ubuntu schedule, and the
> > rather impatient replies to misplaced, but genuine, questions/bug
> > reports, there is a good argument for a private dev-work list.
> > Openness is all well and good, but the present arrangement isn't
> > working, which makes openness beside the point.
>
> According to the official descriptions of the lists they are are not
> misplaced though.
> For example
>   http://www.ubuntu.com/community/lists
> lists ubuntu-users and ubuntu-devel as the the two community lists,
> and gives no indication that ubuntu-devel is for certified/core
> developers only. The "misplaced" comments are development related and
> would be welcome on smaller projects like lyx-devel and ffmpeg-devel.
>
> It seems the that official list description  should make it clear that
> only core-developers should post, and it also probably shouldn't be
> listed as one of the two community lists.
>
> Perhaps it should also renamed something like ubuntu-devel-internal to
> reinforce that it is not the equivalent of lyx-devel, ffmpeg-devel
> etc, and create a  new ubuntu-devel list where general development
> chit-chat is allowed.

Smaller projects can allow chitchat, because the volume is that much
lower. However, a lot of what gets shutdown is not actually
development discussion but simply me-tooing and not actually working
towards a solution.

This of this difference. Devel is like a company meeting. Sounder is
like a pub. Both may be talking about development and things may even
be decided at the pub but the company meeting if where the official
decisions take place.

So yes, sounder is a perfect place for talking about how we might
squeeze a bit more out of our boot (in general terms) and how it is
slow. When a solution is found, take it to ubuntu-devel.

That make sense?

Corey