Development, Community Involvment and Ubuntu Information (was Re: Alternative Init System)

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 01:42:41 GMT 2006

On 3/3/06, john levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:
> I don't see why that should be tongue in cheek. Why shouldn't Ubuntu
> developers have a mailing list for their own purposes? The Fridge ml
> isn't open, and I'd say that given both the ubuntu schedule, and the
> rather impatient replies to misplaced, but genuine, questions/bug
> reports, there is a good argument for a private dev-work list.
> Openness is all well and good, but the present arrangement isn't
> working, which makes openness beside the point.

According to the official descriptions of the lists they are are not
misplaced though.
For example
  http://www.ubuntu.com/community/lists
lists ubuntu-users and ubuntu-devel as the the two community lists,
and gives no indication that ubuntu-devel is for certified/core
developers only. The "misplaced" comments are development related and
would be welcome on smaller projects like lyx-devel and ffmpeg-devel.

It seems the that official list description  should make it clear that
only core-developers should post, and it also probably shouldn't be
listed as one of the two community lists.

Perhaps it should also renamed something like ubuntu-devel-internal to
reinforce that it is not the equivalent of lyx-devel, ffmpeg-devel
etc, and create a  new ubuntu-devel list where general development
chit-chat is allowed.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
Master's Student