GPL compliance

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jun 28 13:58:16 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 12:16 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-28-06 at 18:41 +0800, Aldous D. Penaranda wrote:
> > I have here a copy of the Breezy pressed CDs from ShipIt and at the
> > back of the CD jacket (is that the right term) it says:
> >
> > "Source code for Ubuntu can be downloaded from archive.ubuntu.com or
> > can be ordered from Canonical at the cost of the media and shipping."
> >
> > I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, though. I haven't
> > searched the content of the CDs for such a notice yet.
>

> Thanks. I think that that notice would satisfy the GPL 3(b) requirement
> for Canonical. I'm not sure what I as a second distributor would do to
> forward that notice to the supplier. I'll have to think about this.
> Maybe put it on the CD labels, or maybe I could add my own README file
> to the CD.

If you distribute yourself, you need to me the GPL 3 requirement
yourself.

That is, if you make a CD copy of an Ubuntu binary CD, the GPL requires
to you provide your own notice - you cannot reuse the notice you
received from Canonical. [this is pedantic - quite clearly while we are
still printing and shipping Dapper, I cannot imagine us doing anything
other than happily providing Dapper source CD's for the cost of media or
shipping regardless of whether the person ordering has an original
Dapper, or a copied CD. But you cannot /assume/ this under the GPL - you
cannot refer the recipients of your copy to Canonical without having
arranged that with Canonical.]

Rob (speaking as myself, not as Canonical, since I dont work in the CD
shipping area).