Life without Windows

Pavel Roitberg pavel at madman2k.net
Wed Jun 28 10:03:21 BST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 16:39 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>> On 6/27/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>>> "To play music and videos, Ubuntu comes with a number of multimedia
>>> players. For MP3 files, I like XMMS, which looks like WinAmp. Downloaded
>>> AVI files won't play properly on the default Movie Player, but
>>> installing VLC Media Player (using Synaptic) will take care of that."
>>>
>>> This is a VERY common (universal?) complaint.  Does the default movie
>>> player work for anyone?
>> I use totem nearly all the time since Dapper (In Breezy, I was using a
>> mix of gxine and vlc);  I simply had to install the half-dozen
>> different gstreamer plugins packages found
>> in universe/multiverse (the good-bad-ugly packages...) to make it
>> usable. But once it's done, I have to say that I don't see that many
>> media files that totem cannot deal with it (for my own personal
>> usage).
>
> I just compared them again - with a hot cache gmplayer takes 3 seconds
> to start, totem takes about 7.  Still too slow for me.
and it lacks features like normalizing audio too.

ubuntus media support still needs some serious love - from my experience
its the only thing one cant get off with the defaults.
I have to replace rhythmbox with quodlibet to get some tag editing and
totem with vlc or gmplayer to get normalizing.
Also getting full playback support is leasier with the latter two.

perhaps someone should reconsider that gstreamer atomisation from an
suer point of view.

Pavel