ALSA, OSS and the pointless of switching to Pulse [Was: Paris summit]

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 26 13:39:30 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 13:23 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Lee Revell">
> > > Do you expect Pulse to be the default sound system in Edgy?
> > I don't know. I've packaged it, but not yet uploaded it - we'll see.
>
> Pulse is still a distraction though.  Pulse (nee Polypaudio) does nothing
> more than provide the same interface that 'esd' did.  (With a far less
> Googlable name, which is unhelpful to users trying to debug their sound
> issues).
>
> Net gain: Zero (possibly negative).  What we need is a multiple-open OSS
> driver.  That hasn't happened because of LKML bickering about theoretical
> code that doesn't even exist and won't until it is written.
>
> Multiple-open OSS to an ALSA backend needs writing---there are no two ways
> about it.  Until everyone recognises that reality, then we are going to
> continue have these head-again-wall-slamming threads.

How would you write a multiple-open OSS driver when the ALSA driver
behind it doesn't support multiple open itself?  (Most don't)

FWIW, I vaguely agree with you, I think we should drop ALSA OSS
emulation in favour of /dev/dsp being a user-space character device
provided by some kind of mixer like Pulse.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com