Dapper xterm charset incompatibility?

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Jun 26 11:48:20 BST 2006

Op zo, 25-06-2006 te 16:10 -0400, schreef Lee Revell:
> On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 21:54 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Op wo, 21-06-2006 te 19:58 -0400, schreef Lee Revell:
> > > What is with the "â"s?  Have we broken backwards compatibility with
> > > xterm?  Do I need to use a Unicode capable xterm to do this?
> >
> > AFAIK even uxterm has broken Unicode support.  Can't you use another
> > terminal emulator?
>
> I worked around it by switching to uxterm.

'uxterm' is a wrapper script around xterm that sets some options and
environment variables, but it doesn't always work perfect.

> Gnome-terminal is WAY too slow.

<http://mces.blogspot.com/2005/10/gnome-terminal-performance.html>

Conclusion: "gnome-terminal is generally faster than xterm, when using
the same font."

(In most distros xterm uses a bitmap font by default, while
gnome-terminal defaults to a TrueType font.)

> I'm still annoyed that backwards compatibility with something as old as
> xterm was broken.

Eh, it's xterm that's broken, not the other way around...  ;-)

--
Jan Claeys