ALSA [Was: Paris summit]

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri Jun 23 15:19:04 BST 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:43:29PM -0400, Lee Revell said:

> Yes, I mean Linux.  Are Skype, Flash, and Teamspeak available for the
> BSDs?  I somehow doubt this was a major consideration for these
> developers.

Skype is in the FreeBSD ports collection.  Flash Player isn't available
for BSD, but it is available for OS/2, Solaris, HP-UX, and IRIX,
and they have an officially-sponsored Open Source project called
Helix Player that plays Flash on BSD.  You've got me on Teamspeak,
I don't think they officially support BSD.  However, they don't
delete forum posts about using it under FreeBSD's Linux support,
which doesn't have ALSA.

And I still dispute a) that Linux is the entire open source world and
that b) every Linux application with an open license uses ALSA.
Further, some Linux applications with open licenses don't use ALSA very
well; Cedega is open source and on my Ubuntu Dapper amd64 box it uses
OSS and can't work with ALSA.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | "I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
   EIV Consulting   | And now that I have some light, I can see the