Microsofts new way of bashing Linux

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Jun 17 16:04:15 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 07:59 +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> At a guess, some companies are reluctant to release source to their
> closed drivers due to their appalling quality and/or comments in the
> source that may land them in legal trouble.

I think another reason is that it becomes impossible for the marketing
department to lie about the capabilities of the hardware.  It's very
common for vendors to make claims like "hardware AC3 decoding" and
"hardware RAID" when in fact it's just implemented in software in the
Windows driver.  One of the worst offenders, Creative Labs, actually got
sued over it (the "Fraudigy case") and lost.

Lee