Microsofts new way of bashing Linux

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Jun 16 18:52:47 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 22:10 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> Damn!  I don't even know where to start in fixing the mess that is
> Linux's sound "architecture".  Which one do I begin with?  There are
> so many (bad ones) to choose from!

Linux has a perfectly good sound architecture.  The problem is that "you
can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".  Many apps
STILL use the old broken OSS API (cat file.wav > /dev/dsp), which
bypasses software mixing, routing, volume control, and default soundcard
selection.  Unlike a proprietary OS, there's no way to force all the
apps to use the correct API like Apple did with CoreAudio.  The distro
is forced to either ship broken apps or leave out key functionality.

Lee