Ubuntu Webmaster !

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Jun 16 04:39:00 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 20:03 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> my answer: just use Linux and go on with your life without worrying
> too much about it.

Yeah, I think that's what I should do... use stable releases only, and
get excited (or worried, depending on eventual regressions) only twice a
year, instead of 365 days a year...

> The important thing is that you use your computer in an
> efficient, cost-effective and useful way. Probably most of the people
> on this list would say that this will most easily achieved with Linux
> and Ubuntu in most cases.  But that's up to you to decide.  Personally
> I have made the choice a long time ago that this was achieved for me
> with Linux (and Ubuntu)

Oh yes, I didn't mean to say that I would go back to Windows for 5 or 10
years before looking at Linux again ! ;-) I was only saying what you
said: use Ubuntu but just go on with my life.
I have been using Linux/Ubuntu since Warty came out, and I have long
past the non-return point. I mean, I do a lot more things on Linux now
than I ever did on Windows. Also, as an engineer, I like the technical
aspect of Unix/Linux, and appreciate the numerous inherent advantages of
Linux over Windows, mostly the open-ness, modularity of it, that let's
me conform it to my needs and wishes, rather than me conforming to
windows limitations.
Both Windows and Linux have their share of specific problems, but
windows is making things worse and worse with every release, and is
unlikely to ever improve because the things that make it go bad are also
precisely what defines it. OTOH, Linux has many problems, millions of
glitches, but is bound to getting better and better, because of its very
nature.
So, even though I regard both Windows and Linux as half full glasses, I
still bet on Linux because it's glass is bound to fill more and more
over the years, where Windows' glass is getting emptier and emptier (is
that a word ? Evolution spell checker didn't choke on it...) as years
pass.
So, no matter how depressed I sometimes feel with Linux, I don't
seriously even remotely consider switching back to Windows for my
home/personal computing, even if that means I sometimes have to lower my
expectations in places, here and there, and not expect it to "just
work", just yet.

> If you wait for any piece of software you use to be perfect, you could
> be in for a very long wait :)

Yes, I know... but I am a perfectionist, and until recently used to not
even start a project, knowing I couldn't possibly make it 100% as I
wanted.
I would always wait for this or that to improve, before I would start
doing something. But I am 28.5 now, and as you said, I am starting to
realise that if I don't try to be less demanding, I may never be happy
about anything, nor create/make/achieve anything in my life.
I guess I just have to learn to apply this principle to Linux as
well... ;-)

--
Vince