Installing a compiler by default

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Fri Jun 16 04:13:45 BST 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 13:00, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-16-06 at 12:49 +1000, Cefiar wrote:

> > > How difficult is it to write a script that tries the three major
> > > package downloading schemes?  Something along the lines of:
> > >
> > >         apt-get gcc
> > >         if that didn't work:
> > >
> > >                 whatever-redhat-uses gcc
> > >                 if that didn't work:
> > >
> > >                         whatever-gentoo-uses gcc
> >
> > All 3 require root on the machine to install in the usual places.
>
> I call attention to the beginning of the section you quoted:
>
> Note the words "you're root" in the establishing conditions?

Fair enough then. If they're root anyway, you're probably stuffed. I was
pointing out elsewhere (another thread) about using gcc to bootstrap the
process of getting root after getting access to the machine as a non-root
user (eg: exploiting something that does not run as root first to get a
toe-hold on the machine, something that I've seen in the wild), specifically
the advantage of avoiding it's usage in such a case. Seems I've got my
threads mixed here.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net