Mako, Argh!

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 13 15:24:47 BST 2006

<quote who="Paul Sladen" date="Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:50:18AM +0100">
> Today I went to get my fresh-fill of recycled, duped and inaccurate
> news, instead, here's what confronted me:
>
>   http://www.paul.sladen.org/ubuntu/tmp/mako-argh.png
>
> Mako, do you have any idea about what story that the advert is trying to
> convey---it left me completely baffled!

That ad is part of a membership drive by ACM -- the non-profit
Association for Computing Machinery. I am an ACM member and on one of
the group's boards and said it would be fine if they used my likeness
to increase membership.

You can see the ads (and my picture) in a variety of magazines (e.g.,
Technology Review, IEEE Spectrum, Communications of the ACM, Science,
Dr. Dobbs). The paper ads include three other people including Vint
Cerf(!).

I'd heard rumors that there were banner ads but, because I use AdBlock
to block advertisements, had never actually seen one until you posted
the screenshot here. I do not think there is any relationship between
the advertisement and the story.

Later,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at ubuntu.com
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS