Installing a compiler by default

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Jun 8 21:23:17 BST 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 18:44, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I would like to propose that, beginning in Edgy, Ubuntu desktop
> systems (both live and installed) should, by default, include the
> set of packages necessary to compile simple C programs and Linux
> kernel modules.

I read the first 12 comments on Sounder, and some very good points
were raised. I'd like to raise a POV that hasn't come up yet.

There are of course a huge variety of users that use Ubuntu, and with
regard to compilers, we could consider there to be two main groups:

The geeks who would prefer to have a compiler installed by default.
The non-geeks who don't care what a compiler is.

I'm in the former group. I sudo apt-get install build-essential as one
of the first steps I do after an install. It's not an issue, and many
here are like me and don't make an issue about it either. It doesn't
affect the latter group so it's a moot point.

These groupings are not static - if they were there wouldn't be a
problem. The problem comes in when bright folks want to graduate from
the latter to the former group. They read a howto on tldp.org and
type ./config && make && make install and watch in dismay as the
errors roll off the screen.

The actual problem is that they can't easily find the magic words:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
I know this is documented, and the docs are good. But this question
still gets asked frequently on the lists, so the docs could be more
visible.

I don't think a compiler installed or not installed by default is an
important question - the package is right there on the CD along with
tons of other useful stuff that isn't installed by default. The real
question is more:

How do we easily bring it to the user's attention that they need to
install a compiler, without getting in the user's face, and so we
don't have to keep answering the same question over and over

One possibility is to install by default a small script called gcc
that pops up a dialog saying a compiler is needed. Use dialog/ncurses
on cli so it's obvious, and the gtk version could have a button that
launches sudo apt-get. When the compiler is installed, it overwrites
the script with an actual compiler.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za