ethical ubuntu

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 07:04:39 BST 2006

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 08:39, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 08:19 +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> > On the other hand, not accepting them makes your computer unusable if
> > you use it for anything involving 3d, and Nvidia haven't done anything
> > too horrible that I know about, so I'm willing to accept their binary
> > only drivers.
>
> Yes, it's a choice between convenience and freedom.  Not to mention that
> many of the kernel developers consider the Nvidia driver to be a
> violation of their copyright.
>
> Lots of people have no use for 3D anyway.

Whether the Nvidia driver is a violation of their copyright is a matter for
the lawyers, and I'm sure they'll settle it appropriately.

As for the usefulness of 3D, I do have a use for it, which is all that's
important in this case. As for others, they will have to decide for
themselves, but I do not think many would choose not to use the Nvidia
drivers.

Sasha