Annoyance will make Vista users to switch to Ubuntu.

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 06:52:41 BST 2006

To continue my post, If Vista and KDE will be innovative in their future and
final release, then I'm in, I really like innovation, like gmail, writely,
and everything new that "just works", I think judging them too early is a
way my pessimistic ex does, which is (over-my-dead-body) an entirely
opposite to my view.

On 6/7/06, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> annoying
>
> Ok, sorry to continue this but I promise to raise the level of
> conversation and bring it to almost within the rules. :)
>
> Because yesterday I read a long review of a Windows Vista Beta, it was
> called "20 things you won't like about Vista', here:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000829
>
> It's a strange article.. I liked that it was very extensive, and gave a
> good overview of new features in Vista.  However I completely disagreed
> with most of the things the author labelled 'don't like'.. Most of those
> actually make good sense, and a lot of the remaining ones was whinging
> about bugs & performance and placement/scattering of certain control
> panels which I think is silly when reviewing what is after all BETA
> software.
>
> >From the article it seems that Vista is addressing the main security
> issues that were always blatantly obvious to anyone in the Unix/Linux
> world, and blatantly obvious as to how these should be fixed.  It now
> turns out that MS is solving this indeed by closely following the
> Unix/Linux way.
>
> In short:
>
> * Users CANT run as Administrator anymore, there isn't even an
> Administrator account. (Sounds familiar?)
>
> * When doing administrative stuff, users will be prompted for approval,
> optionally with their own password. (Sounds familiar?)
>
> * Applications aren't allowed to write (user) settings in the Program
> Files folders anymore, or in the registry, it will have to go into user
> space. (Sounds familiar?)
>
> Now, the author thought these things were an 'annoyance'..  :)
>
> Then the remaining gripes that weren't about bugs or performance were
> about useless eyecandy, and doing away with the traditional File - Edit
> - View menu structure in favor of icons that adjust to what the user is
> doing and would want to be doing next.  That's a matter of taste I
> suppose, and in any case all of that can be turned off if you don't like
> it. Heck I still have ALL of the visual extras that XP offers over
> Win2000 turned off..
>
> Just about the only thing I agreed with was the blatant and mindless
> copy of a bunch of shiny but ultimately brain-dead desktop widgets.
> They look embarrassing. "Hey look, there's an analog railway station
> clock." yawn..
>
> So in short I think Windows is catching up to Ubuntu in the security and
> 'common sense' departments, whereas at the same time Ubuntu is catching
> up to Windows in the eyecandy department...  (Edgy)
>
> They did however find time for ONE innovative test-balloon which is
> getting rid of fixed File-Edit-View menus..  A loin-cloth for the Naked
> Emperor...?
>
> Cheers,
> Chanchao

gawk; grep; unzip; touch; strip; init, uncompress, gasp; finger; find,
route, whereis, which, mount; fsck; nice, more; yes; gasp; warnquota,
umount; head, halt, renice, restore, touch, whereis, which, route, mount,
more, yes, gasp, umount, expand, ping, bashbug, dump, make clean; sleep