Patches?

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Sun Jun 4 04:44:13 BST 2006

Ok, let's say I found a small bug in something that's in Ubuntu, and
filed it.  Let's further say that a while later, I got to thinking about
the fix and it was trivial; in fact it'd already been found for a
similar case, and just hadn't been implemented for this case.

Let's further say that I know precisely squatola about contributing
patches to Ubuntu.

What would be the proper etiquette?  Should I just put a diff of the
file into the bug report to help the maintainer, or should I jump
through a few more hoops and submit an actual patch?  If the latter, are
there any resources to help me do it right?

P.S. Further complicating matters, our hypothetical bug is in upstream,
and our hypothetical fix would work there as it's to files that Ubuntu
doesn't change.