How ironic....

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Jun 2 00:53:13 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 07:31 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-06 at 16:08 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > I would agree that this is brutal by Linux standards since userspace
> > apps cannot take down the whole system like on Windows.
>
> Lee?  Would you kindly stop the Linux-FUD?

Sorry, I did not think this would be a controversial statement on a
Linux list.

> User space apps can't take down the whole system in Windows either.
> The BSOD-generating problems aren't with user space apps in Windows,
> they're with badly-written device drivers (and occasionally system
> modules).

Only Microsoft knows for sure as they have the source code.

> Linux systems go to Hell really quickly, just like Windows, if a
> driver goes west.  The only difference is that there are a lot fewer
> devices supported under Linux and a lot fewer developers screwing with
> things while in the Windows world a lot of semi-trained code monkeys
> are out there developing device drivers.  (I should know.  I was one
> of those at the start.)
>
> If Linux attracts the kind of support that currently only Microsoft
> gets, you'll see lots and lots of BSOD-equivalents (kernel panics) as
> half-trained monkeys start writing drivers for Linux.

I disagree - except for special cases like Nvidia the drivers would have
to be accepted by the kernel developers.  It's not an accident that the
kernel developers make life difficult for out of tree drivers.

Lee