the Ubuntu help menu

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 08:55:08 BST 2006

On 7/26/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:23:16 +1000
> David Symons <ubuntu at liberatedcomputing.net> wrote:
> [snip]
> > 2. Have it as a separate panel applet that is installed by default - so
> > people can remove it if so desired.  I'm at 1024x768 and it's getting
> > crowded up there (I'd remove the Places menu if it was possible).
>
> It is possible :-) Remove the existing triple menu applet and replace it
> with the "Main Menu" applet. This removes all the text, the triple menu,
> and brings all the menus under one Ubuntu icon. You'll find the two other
> menus as submenus of the main one ( System and Places) I do this on my 12"
> laptop to save panel space.

Yay, Gnome can replicate the unusable everything-stuffed-into-one-giant-menu
system that Windows is (in)famous for! Blech.

I went out of my way to avoid using MS's "Start" menu - setting up vast
numbers of shortcuts & such; Gnome's I find far, far more usable, precisely
*because* everything isn't jammed into one giant menu...

Back on the 'how do people find the docs' front, we had a help icon on the
default top panel up until Dapper - why was that ever removed?

Brian.