Current Desktop Linux Champ

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 24 14:25:38 BST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:11:33PM +0200, Andreas Lloyd wrote:
> Eweek wrote:
> >
> > However, we were disappointed to see that Ubuntu still lacks a
> > graphical utility for configuring display settings beyond simply
> > choosing among available display resolutions.
> >
> > Ubuntu did a fine job of auto-configuring our test machines' displays,
> > but further customizations required hand-editing. For instance, to
> > configure our Thinkpad to use multiple monitors, we had to manually
> > edit the xorg.conf file. We'd like to see Ubuntu begin shipping Red
> > Hat's display configuration tool—not only would Red Hat's tool fit in
> > well with the rest of Ubuntu's configuration utilities, but it is open
> > source and available for the taking.
> >
> Maybe it would be worthwhile to look into this recommendation? I note
> that a lot of people tend to have problems with their display settings
> on the Ubuntu-Users mailing-list.
>
> I don't know if this should have been a separate spec that should have
> been discussed in Paris, or if it can still make into Edgy, if it
> doesn't make a lot of fuss.

It's something which should have been discussed and specified in advance in
order to be part of the Edgy roadmap, but there's no reason it couldn't be
packaged for universe so that we can start to look at it.  I suggest
finding the source code and proposing it to the MOTU team to see if anyone
with packaging skills is interested in taking this on.

--
 - mdz