So Ubuntu cannot support its own system?

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 24 00:20:26 BST 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 23:21 +0200, Lean Fuglsang wrote:

> It has a freaking Ubuntu logo when the package is looked up in Synaptic.
> This means it is supported by Ubuntu. Why does it not have a
> maintainer? What if a security bug is found?

Security bugs are tracked and processed by a dedicated security team to
take care of the entire distribution; if a security flaw were discovered
in any software in main, it would be handled the same as any other,
whether or not it had an active upstream or not.

> I kind of like that Ubuntu tries to make a supported distribution, but it
> is really hard to see what policies distinguishes the supported Ubuntu and
> Universe.

No, it's really easy:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMainInclusionRequirements

> I propose that one of the requirments in the supported Ubuntu should be
> that every package have an active maintainer.

The appropriate place for this proposal would be at the meeting of the
Ubuntu Technical Board, not the sounder forum.  If you are serious about
the proposal, add it to the agenda of the next TB meeting and arrange to
turn up in person to champion the proposal.

You should probably investigate the affect of such a change, in
particular find out which software currently in main would fall foul of
the new requirement, and thus have to be removed.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com