Dapper -> Edgy upgrade problem

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Sat Jul 8 04:16:31 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I'd expect the issues to be the same with RAID regardless of whether you use
> the UUID or label; in either case they'll be the same.

For sure; that was intended as a totally distinct point; I didn't mean
to imply that using a label instead of a UUID would help that situation.

> This is an important
> test case, though, and we'd appreciate your help in ensuring that our
> solution gets it right.

And you'll get it.

Should I add this consideration to LibAtaForAtaDisks?  The only other
semi-relevant spot seems to be ProbeForRootFilesystem; I'm not sure that
that is likely to be reviewed by those involved in the switch to UUID
though.  I could also clean up that page a bit and make it a redirect to
SwitchToUUID or something similar.  Does this sound good, or is there a
more appropriate and already-existing place to put it to improve the
chances of being reviewed by implementors?

I see that the ProbeForRootFilesystem page says "LABEL are more prone to
clashing and this idea has been discarded at BOF" according to
FabioMassimoDiNitto; this is disappointing, as labels are far more
user-friendly.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"