blog entry: "Ubuntu and Debian"

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Jul 8 01:03:35 BST 2006

On vr, 2006-07-07 at 16:08 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:03:24AM +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > On vr, 2006-07-07 at 12:46 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > I suggest you first go read the original blog post before attributing
> > anything to "Martin"...
>
> I have, and I have been discussing it with him via email.  Thanks for the
> tip though!

>From what I read, he collected some feelings (perceptions) that exist
inside the debian and ubuntu developer communities.  Some of those
feelings are (based on) facts, others are misunderstandings.  But they
are _actual_ feelings, so they are very important.

To give an example of how this works; the giving back of patches:

      * some Debian developers claim the patches they get from Ubuntu
        often give them too much work to find what they need in, and
        it's easier to patch it themselves (differently)
      * OTOH some Ubuntu developers claim that they can't provide better
        patches because that would be too much work (and the automatic
        tool isn't clever enough)

I think the fact is both sides are right: it's a lot of work, and both
sides prefer the others to do the work, but nobody has the time...  ;-)

BTW: "Ubuntu" (some people in the community) _did_ claim we would "give
back".  Actually, even Mark & Jeff did give that impression in their
talks.  They didn't say how though, so people expected it in the way
they wanted it.  And official statements buried away inside a website
are not important when talking about how people perceive this...

--
Jan Claeys