[Fwd: Re: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu]

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 5 15:54:29 BST 2006

Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 08:41:04AM -0400, Peter Whittaker said:
>>
>> But until someone takes radical pruning shears to the organization of
>> the distro, being able to remove bits whose absence will later bite you
>> in a tender part is, IMHO, a huge usability bug.
>
> Many commands can be used to do that, such as "rm" and "cat".  Should we
> remove them, or modify them so they can't do any harm?

It still comes down to the fact that the desktop package actively tell you
you can remove them.  I suspect if you tried to remove the _package(s)_
containing "rm" and "cat" that you'd get the warning that these are marked
essential - and you have to jump through a hoop to be allowed to remove it.
There's no such problem with the desktop.
--
derek