[Fwd: Re: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu]

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:48:36 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 11:58 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
[snip]
> Good.  I think it's crazy to install a complete Python development
> environment when we won't even include a C compiler.

And by same token, why is not an equivalently extensive Perl and Ruby
and (add you favourite language and a few random obscure ones here)
environment? If we have Python, Perl and C, we can't leave out C++, ADA,
Fortran, Pascal, LISP and Prolog.

Okay, enough sarcasm. IMHO, the way to do it is to install *as little
development tools as possible* by default, and provide well documented
meta packages that pulls in all things required for development in
specific languages.

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>