Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 5 15:24:00 BST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 18:22 +0200, Christian Jensen wrote:
>
>> The Truth About Ubuntu Dapper Drake
>> http://www.ourtweaks.com/articles/linux.html
>>
>> Don't know which one is worst, the latter I guess.
>
> Meh, he does not give enough information to debug the problem.  Just
> "this was slow", "that didn't work", "no flash 8", etc.
>
> He is right that the wikis are full of misinformation.  I don't know
> what can be done about this.

Not use wikis for documentation, I'd argue - but I rather think I'm in the
minority.

This article is hardly worth the effort to refute.  "Want to set up your
clock to the right time? You'll be seeing this screen a lot..." - and then
he shows you the password popup for synaptic :-)  Still, it's a valid point
but entirely misses the reasons why security is good - or even why it's
necessary to require an admin password to change the clock.

"you can't just browse for a system file you want to edit and open it and be
done with it... You have to run a command in the terminal to access said
file to edit it."  That's a better point.  Under Debian I used to have a
menu option to run Konqueror as root, and iirc "Edit as root".  I've never
got around to adding those entries in Ubuntu, but they really should be
there.
--
derek