Included runtimes (was: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Jul 4 20:26:23 BST 2006

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 17:24 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > Also included is a Java runtime in the form of 'gcj'.
> Are you sure? In my view, "a java runtime environment" would be a
> virtual machine and what else it needs. As I understand it, gcj is a
> frontend to gcc,

  $ /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java --version
  java version "1.4.2"
  gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.0 (Ubuntu 4.1.0-1ubuntu8)

'gcj' is short-handle for a whole bunch of components (libgcj, gij,
classpath) that together make up a Free runtime for Java.

	-Paul
--
High on a Spanish mountain, surrounded by howling dogs.  Southampton, GB