Included runtimes (was: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu)

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Jul 4 17:24:22 BST 2006

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Lee Revell wrote:
> Good.  I think it's crazy to install a complete Python development
> environment when we won't even include a C compiler.

  s/development environment/runtime/

Ubuntu includes a full Python runtime with many, many extra python libraries
out-of-the-box;  apart from being a really nice language, this is to compete
with the VB runtime provided on MS Windows platforms.

It just so happens for Python, that because it is a late-binding interpreted
language the runtime is also suitable as-is for development purposes.

Also included is a Java runtime in the form of 'gcj'.

	-Paul
--
High on a Spanish mountain, surrounded by howling dogs.  Southampton, GB